Yesterday afternoon I put the final stitches into my Sylvia's Bridal Sampler! This is how it turned out (the picture is clickable):
This quilt was begun on the 4th of November 2006, the first two blocks was the Shoo Fly and the Lemoyne Star. Nine months later - on the 4th of August 2007 I made my last two blocks, the Mariner's Compass and the Oklahoma Dogwood. It took me another nine months to actually finish the quilt.
Working on this quilt has been a fantastic learning experience! I can see how my skill have improved while stitching the blocks, the latter ones are lots more accurate than the first ones. I have had the opportunity to try different ways of appliqué, paper foundation piecing, english paper piecing, hand piecing and machine piecing, Y-seam construction, curved seams and other challenging ways of setting pieces together.
I have added three blocks to the back of the quilt - the extra Chinese Coin block (some might remember I made it when I thought I had lost my original one), a cream and green Friendship star on which I have written the dates for when I worked on the different stages of the quilt; and a Square in a square block with the text: "'Sylvia's Bridal Sampler', Pattern by Jennifer Chiaverini, Pieced and quilted by Anne Ida Røkeness, 2006-2008".
Happy quilting, everyone!
Sincerely, Anne Ida