My sewing goal for this weekend is all about attaching borders to a star/courthouse steps quilt I started while away at a retreat at Lapp Elisa's last October:
To the retreat I brought a stack of fat eights I had in my stash for ages, as well as a couple of FQs and some bits and pieces. When the blocks were done, there were hardly a scrap left. But since this was to be a quilt from stash, I didn't want to purchase any border material. I was thinking scrappy, but I haven't had a great idea for how to do it. So the top has been hanging on my quilt rack since I got home, awaiting a solution...
...which turned out quite simple, just a narrow 1.5" light scrappy stop border, and a floral Kansas Troubles fabric I have been hoarding . Why complicate what can be solved simply?
On to cutting and sewing! And looking through stash to figure out what would fit as a backing and binding... Fingers crossed it will all turn out good!
When I made all the flying geese units for the Twin Star blocks, I saved all the triangles that were cut off and used them as deviders/leaders and enders when stitching the blocks together. Whenever one was stitched I just put them in a bowl on my desk.
Each of the HST units measure 1.75", which a good size to play with making some bonus blocks. The Dutchman's Puzzle blocks in the picture measure 5.5", and will be five inches finished.
This is a lot of good fabric I couldn't throw away. There are also some bits and pieces left over from cutting up the jelly roll that might come into play with these :-)