Today I decided I would get some work done on the baby quilt I have promised I would finish for my BF (I mentioned this in january). The quilt is for the baby of one of her friend, who is expecting in March. My BF pieced the centre of the top in October (I think it was). This top was the first thing she had sewn since ninth grade – which means in about 14 years. And I think she did a great job!
The centre is made up of a charm pack from Marcus Brothers – their Charleston II line. It is a rather grown up fabric, not your typical choice for a baby, but seeing as no one knows whether it is a boy or a girl, a historical theme seemed like a good idea. My job has been to ad a border – that I did today, and I have laid out the sandwich – I’m hoping to baste it and start quilting it sometime next week. There is still some time to go before the baby is born… but the quilt has to be sent to my BF who is living in London, she has to sign the label and gift wrap it and get it to Scotland, were the coming baby’s parents are living.
While I was looking for some batting for the baby quilt, I found some inner cushions (can you say that in English?) I bought about a year ago – thinking I was going to be very creative about the covers for them. In a moment of “I have got to get these out of my closet” I went through a pile of left over fabrics I have received from my aunts and my friend’s aunt when they have been sewing curtains and such like, and started cutting 17” squares to make simple covers. I didn’t have enough of any one fabric to make four similar cushions, so instead I made four completely different ones.
I have used five different fabrics, and combined them differently for each cushion – one of the fabrics I’m not to fond of, so that will be the ones going on the down side:-) Now they are placed on my kitchen chairs, they look sort of nice and I suppose they are better to sit on than wood, and best of all I have a bit more space in my closet:-)