Pages

Saturday 17 February 2007

Will I soon be broke? + more SBS blocks

It has been a few days since I last posted anything on my blog. There are several reasons for that; two of them being a lot of things going on at work and Welsh Open in snooker on TV late at night. The semi finals are tonight, and the finals are tomorrow - I have no idea why I have gotten so hung up on the game seeing as I have never played it. Can it have something to do with quilter's mentality of presition and geometry?

For those out there on the fabric diet, please skip this part! Because in your eyes I have been a naughty girl, and I have started to ask myself the question whether I'd rather buy fabric than food, and I'm not quilte sure about the answer (this was a rather untastful joke, but it has a small ring of truth to it (unfortunately:-))). This yardage arrived earlier this week.


Except for the beige/cream with purple flowers, which will be used as backing for a sampler I'm working on (I'll post a picture of it one of these days), I have no plans for it. But who knows...? And today I recieved 20 FQs of Jennifer Chiaverini's Circle of Quilter's collection for Red Rooster. I have no idea what I'm going to do with these either, but I just had to have them– they are so pretty!


I have managed to stitch a bit this week as well, all though not been as productive as I would have liked. I have made five new blocks for my SBS.


The Grandmother's fan and the Dresden plate are the first blocks I have hand pieced in my life, not counting a few smaller projects using English paper piecing. I made a thin pencil line around the templates and stitched just outside the line, leaving a scant 1/4" seam allowance (this is called American hand piecing???) - it worked wonderfully, so I have cut a couple of other blocks to make this way as well. I have suffered more or less from a phobia of curved seams and appliqué, and in the SBS there are plenty of both. So I have decided to try and tackle my fears and just go ahead and make the ones I dread the most:-) We’ll se how it goes…

11 comments:

Cynthia said...

they are lovely fabrics. I have done the same thing too, buying fabric just because i liked it. This year i'm trying to be very good and only buy fabrics that i need to finish my UFOs.

SuBee said...

Fabulous fabrics! I'm going to have to go find those. Congrats on the hand piecing - did you have to mark a seam line?

Kim West said...

great fabrics and great blocks-- i would have had a hard time resisting those fabrics myself!

Rose Johnston said...

u cant have too much fabric.....if u love it buy it!!!.......i adore ur blocks, great job!!!...cant wait to see what u do with them.

Unknown said...

Fabric doesn´t make you fat and doesn´t get bad! Those are some reasons of buying a lot of them!
Your SBS blocks look really nice and for a first try , it is a master try!

Judy said...

That pile of fat quarters is yummy!!! I can see why you bought them!

Valerie said...

Ooooh you weren't kidding, you are a dye-hard Jennifer Chiavernini fan! Lol* Well, I think I AM going be right there with you! Lol*

I just love your fabric choices also - I'm on NO fabric diet! Lol*

Oh, and your dresden plate and grandmother's fan are BEAUTIFUL! I would never know that they were the first hand pieced blocks you've ever made, they look wonderful! I'm so jealous!

The Chicken Lady said...

Great job on your quilt blocks. I have yet to try any curved piecing. I'm scared. But you have inspired me to try. :) Someday. Love the fabric colors too. I'm a flowery/brights girl. :)

Pam said...

The blocks turned out wonderfully. When I hand stitch - I do it right on the line. I also will do a 1/4 inch pencil line for my cutting line. I have never heard it called American hand piecing.

You are really moving along. It is going to be a fabulous quilt.

Susan said...

Oh........nice fabrics.......

You are really getting me to think about the SBS quilt. I have all the instructions printed and ready to go. I will have to think about the fabric. Yours is looking lovely.

Patti said...

I didn't know there were fabrics based on Jennifer's novels! I guess it's a good think I didn't know that. They are very pretty. I love those books!