Pages

Thursday 11 October 2007

Last night and today

Thought I'd give a fair warning: this is a long post - all quilt related :o) Elin - Lappetausa - is in Oslo these days, and we have met up for some quilty things. Last night Kathrines Quilte Stue (LQS in Oslo) arranged a talk by Australian designer Lynne Wilson so we met up for that. Lynne Wilson is working on importing Moda fabrics to Australia (wholesale), and designs promotional patterns for Moda. She had brought along a lot of wonderful quilts! Most of them very simple patterns – she said she was working to make quilting fast and easy :o) Lots of big squares and stripes – not a traditional block in sight (except for 4- and 9-patches).

She brought with her a wonderful hexagon quilt – machine made from split hexagons (she has also developed a thick plastic template for this one) (fairly new blogger Patch has a picture of a quilt made with this pattern on her blog - Patch's version is very different in colour from Lynne's though – which is in soft yellows, peach, reds and greens). She also demonstrated her "pleated log cabin" blocks - a fun looking block, but not something I'll do, I think... But nice to see the technique demonstrated!

She recently have desinged a fabric line for Moda called Porcelaine – this is brand new – she hadn't even seen the fabrics until she saw the shipment Kathrine got in! I don't think the pictures do the fabric justice, though. A lot prettier in real life! In the coffee break there was a draw on our entrance ticket - and I won something!!! A Jelly Roll from Moda - The Roman Holliday line :o) YEY!!!

Today it was autumn in the air, a bit of rain and gray sky. Elin and I headed out of the city to Bærums Verk – and guess… Lappemakeriet!


We had a lot of fun, and spent a lot of money *lol* Elin got some sashing fabric for her wonderful SBS, a lovely beige fabric with a slightly darker floral pattern – the combination will be wonderful! - And what have I done!!!??? I have let those ladies talk me into hand quilting my blue and white swap quilt!! Yikes!

So I picked up a template, some betweens, some thread and thin cotton batting… and a few other goodies. After a lovely lunch at the Dutch Pancake House, we even found some time to go chocolate shopping – I’ll sample some of the chilli and cocoa truffles I got while removing some paper from the pp blocks in my blue and white tonight…

Hope you have days of inspiration!
Sincerely, Anne Ida

14 comments:

Klarafina said...

Lucky you Anne Ida! I thing every one of us who was attendig the quilt evening wanted to win that price. A pity we didn´t meet.
Enjoy your Jelly Roll!
Berit K

Unknown said...

Congratulations on your jelly roll!
I wish you luck with your hand-quilting. With all these notions and your perfection I bet you will get it finished in no time at all. Take care.

Tone Yvonne said...

Hi
The two of you have been busy.....
Lucky you, for getting the jelly roll :o)
Seems like Elin enjoys her stay!!!!

May Britt said...

You going to handquilt it. Good. This quilt disorves it :)

meggie said...

What a lovely post, full of goodies for us to read about! Congratulations on your prize win!

Nihal said...

Dear Anne, you do not need to warn me because I love reading loooong mails:) Thanks for sharing with your lovely posting, that I enjoyed very much:) Congr's for the prize as well! May I ask where is gone your sun? It seems very dark when compared to ours, it is still warm and sunny here:) Looking forward for your more ''long'' posts;) We, too, are in our chocolate day and national holidays here, for more check out my page for a while later on. Love,Nihal

Elin said...

Thank you so much for everything!!! I had a great day yesterday. Hope to meet you again some day, ok?

Rose Johnston said...

Looks like u two had a great day....without me :-( lol So u r going to handquilt the blue and white, way to go!!!! A perfect project for u now that ur winter is approaching!! I just love that template!!!
Hugs xxx

Anonymous said...

Looks like you had a great time! I've actually been to Lappmakeriet! Have fun with your jellyroll!

Unknown said...

The scrap quilt I am making is like the one in the first picture the one in the upper right hand corner! Thanks for sharing all this with us.

Valerie said...

Ooooh, I'm totally jealous of your win! :)

Can't wait to see your blue & white swap quilt all done up!!! It's already so lovely Anne as just a top, it's going to be stunning after your hand quilting. :)

Patch said...

that sounded like a great talk to go to. i have very recently made a cushion cover using pleated log cabin and will be sure to put it on a post in the next week or so.

Tracey @ozcountryquiltingmum said...

Well done on the Roman Holiday, I really like the whole range. the talk looked like fu, I will have to google the fabric.
Your blocks are coming along well. Tracey

Darlene said...

What a delightful time you had!