Pages

Sunday 13 January 2008

Drawing amoebas with the darning foot - and a finish

I promised to show my progress on my Home for the Holidays quilt. I'm happy to report that I have gotten the borders on - anyone else have the pattern? Please be aware that the setting triangles are cut so that the edge around the centre of the top is all bias! It was a bit of a struggle to get the inner border on nicely, I had to pin it every three inches - so if you plan on making this, cut the squares so you get the grain of the fabric along the edge! That was my little rant of the day - earlier today I have been playing with some meandering - this is a sneak preview - upper corner is the back, the other half is a piece of the top:

Just using the darning foot to "quilt amoebas" *lol* - and having lots of fun! There are some puckers here and there (especially on the back), but I'm rather happy to see my skills improve. Unfortunately I ran out of thread half way through (I have one full bobbin, that's all!) - guess what I'll be doing after work tomorrow?

I do have a finish to show. Coming home from the guild meeting on Wednesday, Nemo and I challenged each other that by the next meeting we would make a small bag for our coffee/tea mug that we bring to the meetings. I really love those drawstring bags that May Britt makes, and figured I'd give it a try. This is what I ended up with:

The stitchery is made from a rubber stamp I bought from Quiltegaarden, it was quick and easy to stitch - I started it Thursday night - and I think it is really cute! The royal blue fabric was a part of my Xmas pressie from sweet friend Rose, and I think it works great in this little bag. The cream and blue was a purchase from my trip to Trysil in October :o)

I have an apology to make: I know I haven't been very good at responding to your sweet comments lately, that doesn't mean I don't read them, and I appreciate each and every one of them! I'll try to catch up with my inbox soon.

Hope you had a great and productive weekend!
Sincerely, Anne Ida

11 comments:

Valerie said...

Your "amoebas" look wonderful! :) Your little bag is just adorable too - what great fabric Rose gave you! :)

Elin said...

Very nice! You'll soon be a master on your darning foot! Have a nice week, and go on with your countdown for the vacation in February!!

Rose Johnston said...

Ur quilting looks great sweetie!! meandering is fun but it sure does use a lot of thread!!
I love the mug bag, that stitchery is just so cute!! Glad u found a use for the blue fabric!!
Hugs xxx

Christine said...

Hi Anne Ida. Looking forward to meeting you in Launceston in Feb. You must be very excited about your trip. Such a long way from home - I think you will find it very warm too! I just love those Roman Holiday fabrics in your quilt and your amoeba quilting looks great. Christine

Darlene said...

It's looking wonderful!

Susan said...

You are accomplishing so much. I enjoy watching your progress.

Unknown said...

What a cute drawstring bag you made and that blue fabric is fantastic. You are getting really good at quilting

meggie said...

Sweet little mug bag!
Your quilting looks great to me!

Unknown said...

Very nice amoebas these are! Keep on trying and machine quilting will become your favorite! The mug bag is really cute. Take care.

Wendy said...

That's a darling little bag. Love the quilt too.

Tone Yvonne said...

Your quilt looks wonderful, like the colours!!! The bag for your mug is very cute!!

Have a wonderful week Anne Ida!!

Hugs